This “Members’ Evening” took place in our Parish Church. Knowledgeable members gave ‘mini-talks’ on different features of the church to give us an informative and most enjoyable evening. Designed by George Gilbert Scott and built in 1852, the church is a near-replica of a church in Sudbury, near Harrow. Most of the stone came from the Rookery estate, but some came from further afield including a small quarry at Trowlesworthy on Dartmoor. The clock was installed in 1887 to mark Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. The east window has an almost-identical twin in Port Stanley cathedral in the Falkland Islands!
We also learned about a painting, now safely kept in the Treasury at Guildford, and also about the organ the sounds from which provided a nice finale. The mini talks yielded a mass of information, some of which was quite new. This will be used in a new set of notes we will be producing on the church and its history.